Is there anything better than fresh berry shortcake? It is strawberry season in Maine and we've indulged in this recipe a few times this month. The biscuit recipe is from an old New England cookbook we've had kicking around the house for years and somehow the book always manages to open to this page. We've updated the recipe a bit to feature SKORDO ingredients and have to say, the additions are pretty delicious!
Makes 6 servings
For the berries:
- 1 quart of strawberries
- 1/2 quart blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons SKORDO Vanilla Bean Sugar
For the shortcake:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon SKORDO Vanilla Bean Sugar
- 1 tablespoon SKORDO Blueberry Sugar
- Remove strawberry greens and slice fruit into halves or quarters. Once all strawberries have been prepped, add sugars and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Rinse blueberries and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Stir sugar, nutmeg, flour, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Lightly beat egg in a small bowl and add milk.
- Pour milk and egg mixture into the dry ingredient and stir in to moisten batter.
- Transfer dough to floured surface, and roll to desired thickness. Cut rounds with a cookie cutter, or squares with a knife.
- Place doughs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the shortcakes to cool fully before serving.
- Combine the cream, 1 tablespoon of SKORDO Vanilla Bean Sugar and extract in a medium bowl.
- Whip the cream until desired stiffness.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining Vanilla Bean Sugar and Blueberry Sugar.
- To serve, place the shortcakes on a large platter and top with strawberries, whipped cream and blueberries.
- Finish the the Vanilla Bean and Blueberry Sugar. Enjoy!