Amba – Spiced Pickled Mango Sauce
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1-2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek, ground in a mortar and pestle
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons smoked hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 cup water
Coat mango pieces completely with salt. Put into a jar, seal, and set out in the sun for 5 days.
After 5 days, drain and reserve liquid. Preheat the oven to 200F. Spread mango pieces out onto parchment paper and to dry in the oven for 3-4 hours.
Heat oil in small pot over medium heat. Add spices and stir for a several minutes until the spices are fragrant and you start to hear popping.
Stir 2-3 more minutes, and then add garlic and brown sugar. Stir 2-3 minutes, and add mango, water and reserved juices. Stir to coat.
Turn off heat, and use immersion blender to create a smooth sauce. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Store in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to a week.
Yields: 2 cups
Inspired By: Sarah F. Berkowitz