Baked Brie featuring Runamok Chipotle Morita Infused Honey
This recipe is inspired by Melissa Clark's Phyllo-Wrapped Brie with Hot Honey and Anchovies in her book, Dinner in French: My Recipes By Way of France. A busy fall schedule meant this was made at 9am on a Tuesday morning for a quick taste test. Turns out, pastry wrapped cheese is the perfect breakfast. The added savory notes from the garlic, anchovies and peppers pair perfectly with the sweet heat in Runamok's Chipotle Morita Infused Honey. Delicious!
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (canned work well)
- 1-3 oil-packed anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Zest of one small to medium lemon
- 1 pound phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 wheel of Brie (I used an 8oz wheel. Melissa recommends a 26 oz wheel)
- Runamok Chipotle Morita Honey for serving
- Crackers or sliced bread for serving
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Mix the chopped peppers. minced anchovy, garlic and lemon zest in a small bowl and set aside.
- On a clean work surface, roll out the thawed phyllo dough. Take 2 phyllo sheet and lay them in a 11 x 17 inch baking sheet. Brush the top sheet with butter, then add two phyllo sheets on top the opposite way (forming a plus sign). Brush the top layer with butter. Repeat the pattern and continue adding butter with each layer. Reserve 4-6 sheets of phyllo.
- Use a long sharp kitchen knife to halve the Brie horizontally. Lay one half in the center of phyllo, cut side up. Spread the red pepper mixture on top of cheese and top with the other half of the brie, cut side down. Fold the phyllo around the cheese. There may be an opening at the top of the wheel.
- Softly crumble the reserved phyllo sheets and place it on top of the Brie package to cover any openings. Drizzle with butter and repeat with remaining phyllo/butter.
- Bake until the phyllo is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before drizzling with Runamok Chipotle Morita Infused Honey. Slice and enjoy!