Black Truffle Mac + Cheese
Truffles can be quite the topic of conversation, especially truffle-flavored things. People seem to either love to hate them or hate to love them, and I'm confident a lot of this hatred stems from poorly used Truffle Oil. Truffle salt, however, is its own beast. When you're cooking, you're naturally wry not to over-salt something, therefore you won't find yourself over-truffling anything. SKORDO Black Truffle Sea Salt is a perfect addition to any dish you want to elevate or feel indulgent. It provides that umami flavor, where you aren't exactly sure what you're tasting but you're into it. This mac + cheese is the perfect intro to playing with truffle salt, it takes an already beloved dish and pushes it one step 'fungi-er' (funkier). The addition of SKORDO Porcini Powder may have been a bold one, but it's an incredibly cozy dish. Feel free to leave it out for less of a mushroom flavor!
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 pound pasta, I used campanelle
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup peas (feel free to omit, I can't resist peas in cheesy pasta)
- 2 tablespoons SKORDO Black Truffle Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon SKORDO Porcini Powder
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook your pasta according to box instructions, drain and set aside. No need to rinse or add oil, we want the sauce to adhere to the starchy pasta.
- Finely dice your onion and grate all your cheeses.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add 1/2 stick of butter + onions, stir occasionally until lightly caramelized. Once golden brown, add the porcini powder and remaining butter.
- After butter melts, add flour and cook until thickened.
- Whisk in milk + heavy cream, allow to cook until reduced into creamy sauce, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle your mozzarella + cheddar in batches, whisking to combine. Add your pasta back in, along with your peas, SKORDO Black Truffle Sea Salt, paprika, and dried chives.
- In a small saute pan, heat olive oil + bread crumbs until toasted.
- To serve, sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs and parmesan, enjoy!