Focaccia with Caramelized Onions, Pear, and Blue Cheese
We love this focaccia recipe because it not only tastes wonderful, but it's also easy to make. The honey, caramelized onions, pear, and blue cheese are the perfect blend of savory and sweet. Also, you can dress up the base dough recipe with any other ingredients you choose... the only limit is your imagination!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 large Bosc pear, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the flour and 1/4 cup of the oil; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour and the salt and knead until smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic and let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the sugar, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 10 minutes.
- Preheat the over to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil a 9-by-13 inch rimmed baking sheet. Transfer the dough to the sheet and press it down to fit. Dimple the dough all over with your fingers and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Let the dough rise until puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Scatter the onion over the dough. Arrange the pear over the onion and sprinkle with the blue cheese. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over the focaccia and bake for 20 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve.