Floral Infused Vodka with Runamok Bitters
'Tis the season for colorful drinks! I'm a big fan of infused alcohol all year round, but in the winter I find myself reaching for cinnamon sticks, star anise and allspice over and over again. This drink features those plus another of my pantry staples: hibiscus. The infusion I used at home had been going for 4 days and the star anise flavor was fully developed. I loved the end result and my husband thought it was a touch medicinal. The trick with alcohol infusions is to test them as they go to make sure the result is to your liking. Labeling the container with a 'started on' date can be helpful.
Sprinkle a few petals in for flavor and an unmatched hue that's sure to elevate the holiday cheer.
Makes 2 servings + extra infused vodka
For the infused vodka:
- 8 oz vodka
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried hibiscus petals
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 4 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon dried orange zest
For the cocktail:
- two jiggers infused vodka
- 1 jigger cardamom lime simple syrup
- 1/2 red grapefruit, juiced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 4-6 dashes Runamok Maple Floral Bitters
- optional: soda water to finish
- Combine all ingredients and let rest for at least 24 hours.
- Combine vodka, simple syrup and fruit juice in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake until well blended and pour evenly into two glasses.
- Finish with bitters and garnish with lime.
- To serve, I topped mine with soda water, but the drink is also great without. Cheers!