One Pot Sazon Chicken with Black Beans
This simple Sazon Chicken recipe is a feast for both your palate and your eyes. The Sazon seasoning provides just the right level of spice and gives the dish a lovely amber and reddish color. And don't skip the sofrito. Make a batch of it and keep it in your fridge. Like the Sazon...it goes on everything!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 3 Tablespoons SKORDO Sazon Spice Blend
- 1/2 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tablespoons sofrito ( see recipe below)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Serve over cooked rice
- Garnish; fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat, drizzle with olive oil.
- Generously season chicken pieces with sazon seasoning, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Place chicken pieces skin side down in hot skillet. Cook 3-4 mins on first side or until skin is golden brown, then flip, cook on other sides about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Once you have browned all sides, remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the chopped onion. Cook 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, cook another minute. Add in chicken fat and leftover seasonings from pan.
- Pour in about 1/4 of your chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Ensure you scrape off any tiny bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until sauce is reduced by 1/2, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, sofrito, black beans, and the remaining chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Nestle chicken pieces back in the pan, skin side up, and ensuring chicken is securely in pan with skin exposed. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove the lid the last 10 minutes to let sauce reduce.
- When done, serve with rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cubanelle or other sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves, chopped
- 9-10 cloves of garlic, whole
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced or chunked
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor to desired texture. Add water as necessary for the desired texture.
- Store in an air tight glass jar in the refrigerator or freeze in ice cubes.
Inspired by littleferrarokitchen.com