Harissa Hummus (+ Hummus Base Recipe)
The addition of Harissa to the hummus creates both a tasty and healthy dish. Use this on pita bread or as a side with other classic Middle Eastern dishes. The fresh flavor, coupled with the subtle heat of the Harrisa, will make it the star of the meal. This recipe also makes a great hummus base that you can flavor however you'd like. Look below for other variations!
- 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons SKORDO Harissa
- 2 cups canned chickpeas (liquid reserved)
- 2 tablespoons chickpea liquid or water
- Place garlic, salt, tahini, lemon juice and harissa in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Slowly add the chickpeas until smooth. Add chickpea liquid or water to bring to desired consistency. Adding the chickpeas last will deliver a smoother hummus.
- Let sit for an hour or so to let the flavors meld. Serve at room temperature or chilled, with a little olive oil drizzled over the top and sprinkled lightly with harissa.
- Southwest Hummus: Replace Harissa blend with Southwest Seasoning, roast garlic before adding it to your mixture.
- Avocado, Coriander, and Lemon Hummus: Replace Harissa blend with 1 Tbsp. Ground Coriander plus 1 avocado.