This recipe comes right out of one of our favorite cookbooks, The Basque Book: A Love Letter in Recipes from the Kitchen of Txikito by Alexander Raij, with Eder Montero and Rebecca Flint Marx. Wonderfully simple yet delicious, this avacado salad is perfect for summer dinners or weekend brunches. Always make sure to use top quality paprika - it makes all the difference!
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons Txakoli wine vinegar, white balsamic vinegar, or seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Spanish Smoked Sweet Paprika
- Fleur De Sel sea salt
- About ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Thinly slice an avocado half and array the slices on an individual salad plate. (Do not fan the slices; they should be close together) You can also just peel the half and lie it cut-face down on the plate.
- Repeat with the remaining avocado halves.
- Drizzle each half with about ½ teaspoon of the vinegar.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer or a shaker, dust each serving with a thin layer of paprika.
- Season with salt and drizzle generously with oil. (You want enough oil to dissolve the paprika and give each half the appearance of a rusty car door)
- Serve and enjoy!