Roasted Harissa Chicken with Potatoes and Artichokes
This North African roasted chicken recipe has all the right flavors for a hearty, comfort filled dinner. The Harissa add just the right amount of heat, but not heat for heat's sake. The bold flavors of the chiles come through and act as the medium for merging the potatoes and artichokes into an amazing one-pan meal. Don't skip the preserved lemons...they make a huge difference.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 ½ lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 5 – 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons SKORDO Harissa
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb whole artichoke hearts, canned, jarred, or thawed from frozen
- 1 preserved lemon, diced into small pieces (can replace with 1 teaspoon of lemon zest)
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- In a small bowl, combine the harissa, 3 tablespoons olive oil and ground cumin. Whisk to form a paste.
- Combine the chicken pieces and potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Add the Harissa paste to the chicken and potatoes, mixing well to ensure all is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, preserved lemon, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Arrange chicken and potatoes in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Toss the potatoes lightly and turn the chicken pieces. Add the artichoke / lemon mixture to the baking sheet and roast for another 15 – 20 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked and slightly crispy.
- Combine the yogurt and garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon over the chicken and vegetables.
- Scatter the dill over the top and drizzle with oil.