Vegan Malai Kofta
This recipe is from Shelby Faux and Payson Cunningham, the talented plant based cooks at S+P Plant Based Foods in Portland, Maine. The bright colors and bold flavors in this dish are sure to brighten any day!
For the Kofta
- 1 ¼ pounds medium white potato (about 4-5), peeled and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger piece, peeled and minced
- 1 green chili, minced
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves minced
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons SKORDO Advieh
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the cream sauce:
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomato
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon SKORDO Harissa Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon SKORDO Advieh Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Inch fresh ginger piece, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1-2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 16 ounce can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Vegan Crema or Coconut Cream
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Start making the Kofta Balls by peeling, chopping and boiling the potatoes until they are cooked for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and mash once they are soft.
- Start the cream sauce while the potatoes are cooking. In a large pot add tomatoes with juice, onions, ginger, garlic, and spices (everything except the miso and coconut milk). Bring to a simmer, cover and let simmer for 15 min.
- Remove bay leaf from sauce and stir in miso. Transfer sauce to a high speed blender or use an immersion blender (makes for a less silky sauce) and blend until smooth, transfer back to the pot and mix in the coconut milk. Taste and add spices, salt, and pepper as needed. Put the sauce on low to stay warm until the Kofta is done.
- Drain tofu and mash until you get a ricotta like texture, add in the mashed potatoes, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Form 2 inch balls and place on a lined baking sheet, brush with olive oil.
- Bake at 425 F for 30-40 min, flipping the Kofta halfway through, the Kofta may flatten out a bit in the oven, it's ok. You can alternatively pan fry these.
- To serve, place a cup of favorite rice in a bowl, add kofta and spoon the cream sauce over. Garnish with fresh cilantro, Vegan Crema (or extra coconut cream) and lime juice.
- Naan Bread
- Your Favorite Rice
- S+P Plant Based Foods Vegan Crema, available to order online for pick up at Fork Food Labs in Portland, Maine