Clove + Ginger Lemonade Elixer
This recipe from Upgrade Your Immunity by Dr. Joseph Mercola is meant to be sipped early in the morning, on an empty stomach, to stimulate digestion and begin some detoxification. Plus, the cinnamon will regulate your blood sugar. It was a nice jumpstart to the morning!
Makes 4 servings
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 1 pinch ground clove, plus some for garnish
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in medium saucepan and bring to simmer, stirring until honey is dissolved
- Remove from heat, cover with a lid and steep for 1 hour.
- Strain through a fine sieve, and discard the spices + ginger.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, pour over ice + sprinkle with ground clove.