Sunday Beef Stew with Turmeric, Serrano, + Coconut Milk
This recipe from Asha Gomez's My Two Souths is a great new take on a classic chuck roast stew. Uniquely seasoned with turmeric, Serrano chiles, and rich coconut milk, the standard potatoes, pearl onions, and chuck take on a new exotic twist.
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly course ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 Serrano chiles, rehydrated, seeded and chopped
- 1x1 inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 Cups low sodium beef stock
- 1/2 pound small carrots peeled or scrubbed, halved length wise
- 1/2 pound baby red potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1/4 pound fresh or frozen red pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 2 Cups coconut milk
- Heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 the meat to pan and sear on all sides.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with second half of meat.
- Transfer meat to a plate.
- Stir in garlic, Serrano chiles and ginger to pot, stirring frequently. Cook until fragrant.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper, turmeric. Cook until fragrant stirring constantly about 1 minute.
- Add stock, beef and beef juices to pot. Bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover. Let simmer, stirring occasionally until beef is tender about 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes and onions. Cover and simmer 15 - 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.