Spiced Olive Oil Crackers
Home made crackers feel special; They're easy to make, but always impress! We're a fan of making these as simple gifts and try to always have a few on hand for snacking. Along with Ottolenghi's standard recipe, we've included a couple of our favorite topping combinations. No matter how you dress them up, these pair perfectly with a soft cheese and hummus.
Makes 20 - 25 Crackers
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup water
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground tellicherry peppercorns
- Cyprus flaked sea salt and white sesame seeds for sprinkling
If you're looking for a fresh take on these crackers, try topping with one of the following combinations.
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon rosebuds and petals, slightly crushed
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, paprika and cayenne in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, water, and olive oil. Form a soft dough using first a fork and then your hands to bring the ingredients together. The dough will be firm, but feel free to add water (a few drops at a time) if it seems dry.
- Once mixed, gently roll the dough into a ball and refrigerate for 1 hour. You'll need a relaxed dough to stretch!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line baking sheets with wax paper.
- Lightly dust a work station with flour and turn the dough out. Cut the dough into pieces roughly the size of a walnut.
- Roll each walnut sized piece of dough until they're as thin as possible without tearing. You'll be working with several pieces at a time. Be sure to stretch the dough and then let them rest. Circle back to the first piece and stretch a bit more. Repeat until all the pieces are as thin as possible!
- Put the stretch dough pieces on the baking sheets, brush the pieces with olive oil and sprinkle with your selected spices.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes until the crackers have blistered, are golden and dry.
- Cool the crackers on a wire rack.
- Store in a sealed container for up to a week. Enjoy!