Sesame Crusted Feta with Citrus + Honey
A great snack, appetizer, salad topping, or addition to a cheese board! We used white sesame seeds and finished with honey, warmed with fresh oranges and a drizzle of olive oil. This is a very flexible recipe and low cost recipe, you can cut your feta into any shapes and season with any additional herbs + spices. No added salt in this dish as feta is plenty salty on it's own.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 8-10 block of firm feta
- 1/4 cup all purpose or rice flour
- 1 egg
- 4-6 tablespoons White Sesame Seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup arugula
- cracked black pepper. to taste
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (canola, avocado, etc), for frying
- Divide your feta into desired finished portions.
- Pat feta dry on all sides.
- Whisk egg with a splash of water for egg wash.
- Pour your sesame seeds in a thin layer on a plate.
- Coat feta pieces in flour, then egg, then seeds. Ensuring to get all sides and no gaps. Set aside.
- In a shallow saucepan, heat your 1/2 cup oil over medium heat. Test temperature with a thermometer or by dropping some spare cheese in to see how fast it bubbles. We want a temperature that will get the seeds golden and the cheese softened, 365F.
- Carefully drop your crusted cheese into the hot oil. Prepare a paper towel lined resting tray on the side. Rotate/Flip cheese to get color on all sides, then remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- In a small skillet, heat your honey, oranges, and olive oil over medium high heat. Once mixture starts to bubble, remove from heat.
- To serve, toss arugula in a light drizzle of olive oil + black pepper and add to plate. Add crusted feta to plate, and top with oranges. Drizzle with honey mixture and enjoy!
Make it your own: