Morel Cream Sauce with Skillet Chicken and Pan Fried Asparagus
Fall is here and the cooler weather has us craving rich meals. This morel cream sauce is decadent and bursting with flavor. Try it with pork, beef or chicken and a simple side veggie for a meal that's sure to satisfy and impress.
Makes 6 servings
For the chicken:
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- To taste black truffle sea salt and Tellicherry pepper
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat on the stove top. To taste, season with Black Truffle Salt and fresh cracked pepper on the chicken thighs and fry, skin side down, in olive oil until the skin is crispy and brown (about 10 - 12 minutes).
- Flip the chicken pieces and add the lemon juice and smoked paprika. Cover and place in the oven to braise until tender (about 20 minutes). When done, turn the oven off but leave chicken in until ready to serve.
For the Morel Mushroom Cream Sauce:
- 1 ounce of dried morel mushrooms, rehydrated and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon SKORDO Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked Tellicherry Peppercorns
- ¼ cup sherry
- 1 overflowing cup of half and half
- 1 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in another skillet over medium heat. Add the quartered morels and saute until tender and just beginning to brown (about 6 - 8 minutes). Remove mushrooms from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onion, shallot and the butter to the skillet. Saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add poultry seasoning and gently mix in for a few minutes
- Add the fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and cracked pepper - cook a few more minutes
- Add the Sherry to your herb, onion and shallot mixture. Continue cooking until sherry is reduced by half.
- Add the half and half and the mushrooms. Cook until cream sauce bubbles and is reduced by about ⅓. Sprinkle the arrowroot powder and stir to incorporate. Continue simmering until sauce thickens.
- To serve, plate additional morel + herb cream sauce on the side.
For the asparagus:
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- To taste, freshly ground salt and pepper
- Add olive oil to a medium/medium high heat pan
- When to temperature add asparagus, garlic and salt and pepper. Mixing together until asparagus is coated with olive oil and seasoning
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, gently mixing every few minutes
- Serve along side chicken and morel herb cream sauce