This chowder was a perfect bowl of summer and comes together in about 30 minutes! Largely influenced by Eventide's cookbook, I slimmed down the recipe to make just 2 servings, introduced SKORDO Lemon Herb Fish Seasoning to it, I used Oceans Balance Dried Kombu in place of a full piece. Without any heavy roux, this is a lighter chowder that's completely gluten-free!
Makes 2 servings
- 6-8 live steamer clams
- 1 10 oz can of shucked baby clams, drained
- 2-4 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons Oceans Balance Dried Kombu
- 2 tablespoons SKORDO Lemon Herb Fish Seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 medium yukon gold potato
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cracked pepper, I used Tellicherry
- Salt, if desired.
- Minced chives
- Clean your clams. Rinse and scrub exterior, then submerge in very salty water and allow to purge for 30 minutes.
- Slice bacon into strips, and cook until crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In a medium pot with a tight fitting lid, add your whole clams, water, kombu then bring to boil. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Pick out clams and shock in cold water. strain then reserve juice.
- In the same pot, melt butter then add onion and potatoes. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add clam juice, heavy cream and seasonings, and remaining Kombu. Simmer 10 minutes, add clams (both steamed + canned!) back to pot and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Portion chowder into dishes and top with bacon + chives.