Spicy Maple + Curried Squash Risotto
This recipe is adapted from top chef Sara Bradley, who developed it to share with the Taste Buds of Kalamata's Kitchen. Inspired by Kalamatas "Humpty Dumpty Had a Great Fall Squash Risotto" tshirt (that I am obsessed with!) this risotto hits the spot this time of year. It was such a joy to incorporate SKORDO flavors in an already incredible dish. Get your wrists ready, this one requires some constant stirring but it's worth the patience!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons SKORDO Vindaloo Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons Runamok Merquen Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, or 1 small onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup reserved squash liquid
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche, or sour cream
- 1 cup roasted squash
- 2 sage leaves
- Split the butternut squash in half + score in an X pattern.
- Place squash in a baking dish + coat with SKORDO Vindaloo Curry Powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Add water to pan, and wrap tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 10-15 more minutes or until tender.
- While the squash bakes, combine maple syrup and chili flakes in a bowl and set aside.
- Let squash cool at room temperature, then scoop squash from skins + smash with fork. Reserve liquid, discard skins.
- In a medium saucepan, heat stock + keep warm.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons butter and cook shallot on medium heat 3-5 minutes. Add rice, and stir to toast for 2 minutes.
- Add squash liquid, and stir until absorbed.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add stock 1/4 cup at a time, only adding once rice is dry. Stir often for 30 minutes or until al dente.
- When cooked through, remove from heat and spit in cheese, squash, sage, butter, and creme fraiche.
- To enjoy, transfer to bowl and drizzle with maple syrup, then sprinkle more curry powder + serve warm.
Checkout the other 4 squash risotto recipes created by various chefs Kalamata admires here.