Rogan Josh (and Base Curry Recipe)
Rogan Josh has been a staple in our family for over a decade and a real go-to when we're craving flavorful comfort food. While the traditional dish is made with lamb, we often use chicken breasts. Make sure you let it simmer for an hour to develop the flavors. Also ensure you make enough sauce...its great over rice.
- 3 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 lbs chicken breasts or lamb, cut into 2' pieces
- 3 tbsp SKORDO Rogan Josh Curry Powder (or other curry powder, see note)
- 2-4 crushed cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 8-10 oz yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 large (28 oz) can chopped or whole tomatoes in juice
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 oz warm water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 oz heavy cream
- 2 tsp SKORDO Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- Melt 2 tbsp ghee or butter over medium heat and lightly brown the meat in 2-3 batches. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Lower heat and add Rogan Josh Curry Powder and garlic. Stir and fry for 30 seconds. Adjust heat to medium and add the meat along with juices. Stir and fry for 3-4 minutes, add onions, fry for an additional 5-6 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add water and salt, bring to boil, cover and simmer partially covered for 60 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and remove from heat.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the remaining ghee over low heat. Add the garam masala to the melted ghee and stir briefly until fragrant. Add the mixture to the meat, stirring to combine. Stir in cilantro leaves.
Yields 4-6 servings