I live for a 'make once, bake all season long' recipe. This dough will keep for 2 months in the freezer, so save yourself the time + make a big batch sooner than later! I'd recommend freezing 1/4-1/2 inch sheets of dough, wrapped in plastic wrap. This sets you up with an easy roll out shape later on, as opposed to a solid ball of frozen dough to deal with. If you don't plan on using cookie cutters, then I'd recommend forming the dough into a log for the freezer and slicing portions when you're ready to bake. While I'm aiming for a holiday theme here, this dough is incredible year round for any shapes or sprinkles up for the task.
Makes 3 dozen cookies
- 3 sticks butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2+ tablespoons SKORDO Posy Sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer, cream butter + sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing to combine between each addition. Then, add the extracts.
- Add all dry ingredients + mix on low until just incorporated. Cover + chill for at least 2 hours, or freeze until ready to bake.
- Divide the dough in half. On a clean, floured surface, roll one half to about 1/4 inch. Cut desired shapes, remove excess dough.
- Form excess dough into ball, let rest in fridge while you roll with the other half. Repeat cutting shapes + chilling excess until ready to roll again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer cut cookie shapes to lined sheet tray, and chill for 5-10 minutes. This will help maintain their shape through baking. They can be baked from frozen, they will just take a bit longer in the oven.
- Think through your design. One option is to brush raw cookie with egg white and sprinkle with SKORDO Posy Sugar before baking. Another option is to bake them as is + frost after they cool, sprinkling SKORDO Posy Sugar onto wet frosting.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. It's okay if they look a little soft, they will finish baking on the hot tray even after its removed from the oven.
- Allow cookies to cool completely + frost, if desired.