This February we are focusing on family-style and weeknight meals. This minestrone soup comes together with one pot, in 30 minutes, uses a couple of canned ingredients, and can be adapted for any dietary needs! It’s a recipe to have on hand for snow days + sick days alike.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 stalks celery
- 2-3 medium carrots
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 cups green beans, frozen is okay!
- 1 tablespoon SKORDO Lemon Herb Fish Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 14 oz kidney beans
- 14 oz cannellini beans, or chickpeas
- 28 oz canned roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup dried small pasta, ditalini, elbow, orzo
- 1 bunch kale or spinach
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil and parsley, for garnish
- Chop your veggies! Traditionally all vegetables are bite-sized cubes- try using your pasta shape as the intended size, but have fun slicing or quartering as you’d like. Slice your kale into long ribbons for later.
- In a large pot over medium heat, preheat your olive oil. Add in you onion, carrots, and celery first. Stirring occasionally, allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic, zucchini, and green beans.
- Once veggies are aromatic, add your seasonings. Drain your beans and add to pot.
- Top with your canned tomatoes and stock choice, bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in your pasta directly to the soup. After 2 minutes, add your kale and reduce to a simmer. You may need to add a little water as the pasta absorbed some broth.
- To serve- portion some veggies + some broth into each bowl, top with fresh herbs + grated cheese, enjoy!