This chili recipe, a combination of several favorite recipes from years of trial and error, is dynamite. Our seasoning features three types of ground chiles: Chipotle, Ancho, and New Mexico Chile Powder. Craving comfort? This is your recipe.
- 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup and 1 Tbsp SKORDO Chili Seasoning
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup beer
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (24 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (24 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- In a large heavy dutch oven, cook the bacon until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once bacon is browned, add garlic, onions, bell peppers, and chili seasoning. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings aromatic.
- Add the beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up similar to beef and brown until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes.
- Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the crushed and dices tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes: lime wedges, shredded cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt, sliced scallions.
Yields: 4 to 6 servings