Maple Orange Caramel Popcorn
This is the perfect family treat after a day in the snow! The maple and orange flavors add a fun pop of flavor. Feel free to add more orange zest! We've made this recipe with 1/2 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons of dried zest and it's been a hit each time. One more tip: Try scooping the brown sugar rather than packing it when you're taking the measurement. A packed 1/2 cup makes a very sweet caramel.
Makes 6-7 cups of popcorn
- 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated maple
- 1 tsp dried orange zest
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Coat the bottom of a deep, heavy bottom pot with oil and add the kernels. Turn the burner to medium high and cover using a lid. Once you start to hear pops, gently shake the pot without removing from the heat and keep the lid on. The kernels will pop for 1 minute. Once you hear fewer pops, remove the pot from heat and gently shake. Once you hear no pops, remove the lid, and check your kernels.
- Pour the popped corn onto a baking sheet being sure not to include any un-popped kernels. Add peanuts and almonds.
- Set your oven to 250 degrees.
- Put the butter, brown sugar, salt, granulated maple and orange zest in a medium saucepan and turn the heat to low/low-medium. Use a whisk to combine the ingredients as the butter melts. When the butter and dry ingredients are fully incorporated, set a time for 5 minutes and do not stir until the timer goes off.
- After 5 minutes, remove the caramel from the heat and quickly add the vinegar and baking soda. Use the whisk to mix the ingredients and pour the mixture over the popcorn and nuts. Use a cooking spatula or wooden spoon, coat the popcorn and nuts with the caramel. Place the baking sheet in the oven and set a timer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use the spatula or spoon to fully coat the popcorn and nuts. Sprinkle Smoked Bourbon Barrel Sea Salt over the popcorn and nuts. Let the popcorn cool in the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!