Individual Free-Form Blueberry Tarts
This recipe is from one of our favorite Maine cookbooks by Jeremy Sewall, The New England Kitchen. No cliche New England dishes here, Sewall does a fantastic job of modernizing some of Maine best classic dishes, as well as introducing new ways to enjoy New England flavors. We love these individual free-form Blueberry tarts! They are a bit more rustic and interesting than a pie. The key to this simple recipe is ripe blueberries.
For the pastry dough:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- Blend the flour, butter, and salt together in a bowl with your fingers or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size butter lumps.
- Add 3 tablespoons ice water evenly over mixture and stir with a fork (or pulse in processor) just until incorporated.
- Squeeze a small handful: If it doesn't hold together, add more ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until incorporated, then test again. Flaky crust results from the cold butter so try not to overwork the dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 portions. With heel of your palm, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion to help distribute fat. Gather dough together (a pastry scraper helps here, if you have one) and form into a 5-inch disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
For the tarts:
- Pastry dough, see recipe above
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough and place it on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, roll the pieces of dough into balls and flatten with your hand. Roll out the circle to about 6 inches around and 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate dough rounds for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the filling... In a large bowl, combine the sugar, lemon zest, and flour. Fold in the blueberries and lemon juice and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pastry dough rounds from the refrigerator. Leaving the dough on the baking sheet, spoon equal portions of the filling into the center of each, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Fold the dough border up and over the blueberries, pleating it as necessary.
- Brush the outside of the tarts with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Transfer to a rack and let the tarts cool slightly. Enjoy!