Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce and Greek Salad
This chicken souvlaki recipe is inspired by Yvonne Ruperti from America's Test Kitchen, and it is absolutely delicious! Not only does it taste great, it also tastes authentic. Make sure to use Greek yogurt for the tzatziki sauce (preferably full-fat) to get it thick and creamy. You will be serving skewers of goodness in no time!
For the Chicken:
- Fresh juice of 3 lemons
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried Greek oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or thinly minced
- Fresh oregano for a garnish
For the Tzatziki:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, grated or thinly minced
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
For the Salad and Pita:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced into half moons
- 3/4 cups pitted kalamata olives
- 6 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 pitas
- 1 tablespoon SKORDO Greek Seasoning
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Place the cubed chicken in a seperate medium bowl and mix in the garlic and 7 teaspoons of the whisked dressing. Set the remaining dressing aside for the salad.
- Toss to coat the chicken evenly. Cover the marinated chicken and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
- While the chicken marinates, make the tzatziki sauce: Place the cubed cucumbers in a strainer and set over a bowl. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let sit to drain for 30 minutes. Gently pat cucumbers dry with a paper towel, place in a small bowl, and mix with the yogurt, garlic, and dill. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add the chicken to 8-12 skewers. Discard the used marinade. Heat a grill to medium-high heat and grill the skewered chicken until well browned and registers 155 degrees, turning evenly to cook all sides (about 5 minutes total). Remove the chicken to a serving platter and let rest 3 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle the pita bread with olive oil and a dash of Greek seasoning and briefly grill to keep warm.
- Just before serving, prepare the salad: Whisk olive oil into the reserved chicken marinade. Add the tomatoes, onions, cucumber, olives, feta, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the skewers with the salad, seasoned pita, and tzatziki sauce.
Recipe Credit: Yvonne Ruperti, America's Test Kitchen