Chickpea and Grilled Pepper Burger with Dill Dunked Cucumber Salad
From a brand new summer vegetarian cookbook, Green Burgers, comes this fabulously refreshing burger. A great balance of flavors: smoky filling (two types of chile powders infused into chickpeas), an acidic and herby topping (cucumber salad), and succulent, rich oven-baked onions.
- 3 red bell peppers
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 7 oz oven baked onions ( recipe below)
- 3 Cups cooked chick peas
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder New Mexico
- 1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
- peanut oil for frying
- cucumber salad (recipe below)
- 6 Burger Buns
- Preheat Broiler to 475 degrees
- Halve red peppers remove core and seeds. Put pepper halves on a baking tray with skins facing up, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Broil until skins are black. Remove peppers from heat. Transfer to a plastic bag.
- Let peppers cool in bag. Then rub or peel off skin and roughly chop.
- Make oven roasted onions (see recipe below)
- Rinse chickpeas in cold water, drain well.
- Peel and finely chop garlic.
- Crack eggs into a food processor, lightly pulse. Add oven baked onions, chick peas, red peppers, paprika, chile powder, bread crumbs, garlic, and salt. Pulse until combined, but not too finely blended.
- Separate mixture into 6 equal portions, form into patties. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. This helps to keep its form while frying.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make cucumber salad (see recipe below).
- Heat skillet on medium heat. Add peanut oil to pan. Fry patties until golden brown on both sides. Remove patties from pan and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake patties for 5-10 minutes.
- Butter burger buns and toast in pan until golden brown. Place patty on bottom bun, then top with cucumber salad and a few dill heads.
Oven Baked Onions
- 4 onions
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel onions and cut into 1/4's. Spread out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Add butter. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake onions on middle rack for 20-30 minutes or until they a light brown- a little burnt.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, plus a few dill heads
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 lemon, zested
- white sesame seeds
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Shave cucumber length wise using a vegetable peeler. Remove a few dill springs from bunch, gently remove dill from stem with fingertips.
- Put cucumber slices in a bowl, add dill, lemon zest, sesame seeds and dill heads to cucumbers.
- Drizzle mixture with olive oil, salt and pepper, then gently toss with fingers.
Recipe from Green Burgers by Martin Nordin